Friday, August 2, 2013

WE MADE IT

Can you believe it? We are officially in Denver. We made it. I am still trying to get my head around it myself.

Let me tell ya, moving halfway across America is no Sunday brunch. We quit our jobs, got rid of 2/3 of our belongings, vagabond'd it from household to household for a month (9 times, to be exact), and drove across seven states to make it here.

The Saturday prior to our departure, we loaded the remaining 1/3 of our worldly possessions in a 5'x8' U-Haul trailer. I told J that if it didn't fit into the trailer, then I didn't want it. After 4 hours, we literally could not fit another thing in there. Dad would be proud. Crammed with our life from front to back, floor to ceiling, the U-Haul was our idea of perfect packing (creating the puzzle is one of my favorite parts). We high-fived and got the hell out of that hot, God-forsaken storage facility.

After about a million goodbyes during July, we said our last at the P's house on Sunday morning. I hugged baby S the tightest. That little guy is almost enough to make me want one of my own. Almost, I said. 

When we arrived in Nashville on Sunday, I told J that the perfect destination would have outdoor seating and allow dogs, would be playing the US Men's Soccer game, and would be within walking distance to our hotel. Wouldn't you know we found a place that met all three marks, AND the bar just so happened to be one of the only dedicated soccer bars in Nashville!! Like I told J, I totally planned that. And they won. All a part of the plan.

He drove the rest of the way through KY, IL, MO, KS, CO, with a night in Blue Springs, MO to break up the drive. Look that shiz up. J is a champ. Betty II did amazing as well, and we arrived with plenty of time to sign our life away to the apartment complex. 720 sq ft of freshly painted, newly carpeted genericism. I'm not complaining, but if you know J and myself, you know we're anything but generic.

The apartment's appeal comes mainly from the fact that it's one block from the largest park in Denver. It's also one block (in two directions) from public transportation, within biking distance to downtown, and is close to a grocery store. We're pretty happy with it, and I cannot imagine moving again in 9 months, which is what we're currently scheduled to do. I think that the Sun is finally feeling a little less confused and anxious, and today we celebrated her 4th birthday.

I'll post pictures soon.





3 comments:

  1. Finally! So y'all stopped in Nashville for one night and then drove to Denver the next day?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No... I wasn't very specific, was I? We stayed one night in MO, so we broke up the drive into two nine-hour trips. J is still a champ! ;)

      Delete