Monday, August 1, 2011

Milestone Time - 1st House!

Hello Friends - No... Justin and I are not buying our first home. But I do have thoughts on the subject, surprise surprise.

Our neighbors have recently put their home on the market. When I realized they were selling their home, several thoughts and questions dawned on me all at once:

1) When you're buying a home - how do you get a feel for the neighborhood? Are the [future] neighbors a good reason not to buy a home? My first thought to that is, "Heck yes." If I pulled up to a potential home and found out the neighbors were renters with nappy grass and a hundred-pound dog... I would be a little disappointed. Mark that off in the 'con' column.

2) Pretty sure they wouldn't get their asking price from this girl.

3) No wonder they have been cleaning it up lately.

4) I wonder if one of the reasons they are leaving is because they don't like living next to us.

5) What are my top "wants" for my first home? Justin loves real estate, so this has been a heavily discussed topic in our house. Top 8:
I. Large, fenced in backyard
II. Cool, safe 'hood
III. Front porch
IV. Bay window in the front
V. Within walking distance to a park
VI. Fireplace
VII. Lots of natural light
VIII. Space for a bomb shelter.
That's all I can think of right now. I'm sure Justin would have plenty more to add.

Luckily, we won't be in the market for a new home anytime soon, so I have some more time to think about it. I also have to imagine there will be a little bit of being happy with what we can afford. If Justin has his way, we'll be purchasing a foreclosure about 45 minutes out, on 4 acres, with lots of potential.

Pretty sure most foreclosures don't come with decent bomb shelters, so we'll have to build one. At least then we can add our own special touches. Like a water bed and a swinging bench. Then when all hell breaks loose, you can come crash. BYOB.


BTW - The neighbors sold their house within 2 weeks. 4 offers. Wowza.

No comments:

Post a Comment