Friday, July 29, 2011

Well That was an Ordeal.

I'd like to just start out this post by saying that I am a very fortunate young lady. And I have peanut butter on my D key. No matter.

I recently lost a very expensive key to my car, which I had made about two years ago for around $150. Damn! I know, right? Anyway... I've been driving Justin's car for about two weeks, and I finally decided, enough is enough. I can only feel paranoid about losing HIS keys for so long.

I got a quote from the dealership to replace the key. Of course, nothing has changed, and the key is around $95, $10 to cut, and $46.50 to program it (whatever that means). Not to mention the $50 AAA membership fee so I can have my car towed to the dealership because it's immobilized. Wowza.

After a little online shopping, I found keys for $40 each. Bought two so I will hopefully never be in this situation again. The keys came with instructions on how to program them myself, but of course that didn't work. Did I mention I still had to get them cut before attempting to program them? Yes. One very annoying trip to the dealership later, and I'm sitting in my car (whilst it's 100 degrees out, mind you) pulling up the break leaver five times, then cutting the car off, back on, pulling the leaver two times, etc. so that I can "activate" my car and drive it back to the dealership to have it officially programmed. Really?

Anyway, I get there and the service guys are great, as usual. I walk out with $50 programming charge, and two shiny new keys. Currently choosing a state of denial regarding the $1500 in recommended preventative maintenance. Does life ever get easier... or less expensive?

The point of all this is to tell you that I'm a genius. I spent approx. $150 for two keys instead of just one. When considering my genius status, please ignore the fact that I lost the $150 key in the first place. No matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment